Monday, July 5, 2010

A New ME!

Ok...so here goes. I love to run in the heat, the hotter, the better for me. I think I have said it a million and two times. Well, just so happens. That is not the smartest thing you can do. I guess, I was trying to prove to myself that if I can run in the extreme heat-----I can get in better shape, be more physically fit, and run faster--eventually. Turns out, the extreme heat can slowly dehydrate you to where your body's important electrolytes (Sodium, Potassium, Glucose, etc) are depleted and can cause major problems such as cardiac arrhythmia's, seizures and yes...DEATH. I had an episode at work the other day where I was walking down the hall to triage a patient, and I almost fell to the floor I became so dizzy and off balance. I finally collected myself, triaged the patient, and told our CRNP (who also runs on a regular basis) what happened. I asked if she could look in my ear, that I thought I may have some fluid in the inner ear causing my vertigo (dizziness). Well, the ER Physician came in and checked me out, and he lifted the skin on top of my hand and immediately asked.."Have you been running in this heat?" Of course I wanted to lie, but he has known me for many many years. I finally told him that I had been running in the heat of the day, BUT for only 45 minutes or so. He told me I had the skin of an 80 year old and that I was behind on my fluids, he went on to tell me what I mentioned above, although I already knew this from being a nurse. A hard headed, stubborn, foolish nurse/runner. I'm an IDIOT!!! What am I trying to prove? Why am I trying to kill myself slowly and painfully? The half marathon I am preparing for is October 2, 2010. I ran this race last year as well. And I remember the morning of my first HM very vividly. It was PERFECT weather. I could not have asked for better weather. And chances are, the weather will probably be the same this year. October in Montgomery, in the mornings are pretty mild. So, why am I trying to run in this heat, when my race will not be hot? Who knows? So needless to say, I ran 5 miles tonight at 7pm in 43 minutes. Felt good and ran at a pace I would like to do on 10/2/10 To me, running is not about how far you go, how fast you are, how you feel during the run, it's all about recovery to me. How good do you feel AFTER you run. I'm not aiming to run 7 min miles in my half marathon or any race at that matter. If I trained appropriately, and didn't work full time, didn't have a family to take care of and ONLY cared about myself. Yes, I could run 7 minute miles. I'm happy with myself just the way I am. I'm in better shape at 36 than I was at 16. I can run 13+ miles at one given time, when 8 out 10 people can barely WALK a mile. Now---take that!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers